Tuesday, January 6, 2009

epic conquest




it was a night like any other, and a morning no one saw coming.



we spent new years with some friends, some of who wanted to take over the world. i politely declined (ok, here's the real deal. i last played risk 7 years ago with steve, his roommate and my roommate. it ended with me losing horribly and throwing a temper tantrum. i vowed never to play the game again).





steve is an expert strategist, along with chris and a couple of the other guys, and they adhere strictly to the rules of the game.




a few rounds in, the red team, lead by ryan, was dwindled to 3 armies total, one in each country in vodka-land. ryan decided it was time to mingle, and he let me start rolling the dice for him. i can handle dice rolling for others. there isn't much attachment to that activity.



and this is where the photos stop. before i know it, ryan had given me the reigns and was nowhere to be found. i unexpectedly discovered myself leading the red army against a guy who plays the game so much that he has an e-trophy for the winner. steve would later tell me he didn't think i was a threat, so he let me hang out for a while.


four hours and many military moves later, sometime around 2:30am, chris waved the white flag. i had won a game of risk against 2 people who could literally work for military intelligence, and be successful at it. now, i do owe some credit to steve, james, nathan, and dan. they provided some guidance during my global domination.


i think i'm going to retire my title, although, i may have to defend it at some point.

6 comments:

j steg said...

Do you guys play "Settlers of Catan"?

Reverb said...

I'll just say it Liz...you kick some serious risk booty.

Thanks for leading my men to victory. I sure know how to delegate authority!

Anonymous said...

Ah, Risk. The classic board game for breaking up friendships for the cause of world domination. Looks like you guys had lots of fun!

melanie said...

YOU had a temper tantrum?
I'd love to say that I just can't believe it,
but Liz darling,
I can.

lizzytro said...

i know, i know, hard to believe i would ever do that:) inf fact j00ly was my roommate who participated in the first fateful game...it was not good.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, that was so much fun! It's ok, I have a competitive spirit too. Our youth group in high school had to ban the playing of Pictionary because one of the guys and I got in a huge fight over it.